Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A Camp Mystery.

The tasks and the trials of being a missionary sometime seem a bit overwhelming. We had chosen a gift to give at the end of camp to each couple--a cute, dancing solar flower.  But it seemed to us that some smiles and joy needed to be spread throughout the camp now-not at the end. We wanted to give this gift anonomously, but how to do it. 
A plan started to take place.  I would get up early, dress in my very generic hoodie and jeans, and drive very quietly to the area chosen for this delivery.  I could only deliver about 3 or 4 each morning as many of the missionaries were early risers. I parked a short distance from the cabin or RV, covered my head with my hoodie, and then  tiptoed as quietly as I could.  I stooped down so I would not be seen, and then placed the little flower with its message on the doorstep, and then scurried away as quickly as I could.
 
It seemed morning was too risky, so I decided to do it after dark.  This meant dressing in dark cothes (like a cat burgler),and taking a small flashlight so I could identify the right trailor.  It meant scooting behind cars, around ATV's, ducking under windows, and leaving the little flower on the doorstep. 
 
It took about 2 weeks to get them all delivered. It was so fun to hear the missionaries ask, "Look what I got!  Do you have any idea who is doing it?"  Even the camp newspaper had a picture of the little flower, with comment,  "Who is the person behind the mystery flower?"
 
At the end of the season, we wrote a poem saying,
 
We were so excited
We just couldn't wait . . .
So we gave our little gift
Way ahead of the date.
 
It was so much fun to give-
Just a little solar flower,
As we snuck from cabins to RV's
At such late and early hours.
 
To place it on your door step-
To make your day a little brighter-
To bring smiles and make-
Your tasks and trials a little lighter.
 
So when you leave this mountain
And travel many miles,
Just glance at that little flower-
It's sure to bring more smiles.
 
We gave each couple this little poem, and a small gift.  The mystery has now been solved.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I'm glad everyone loved their flowers. I know my kids do.