Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Medical Safari #1

Well, Here goes, Medical Safari #1. San Luis, Argentina. We headed out, the Jarvis, and us, in our van loaded with medical supplies, tool boxes, extension cords, cans of Raid, ironing boards, irons, curtains, the ever present black medical bag, and homemade brownies to bribe the most resistent Missionaries. One of my purposes in going was to identify medical facilities for the missionaries who become sick in this area, 4-5 hours from the mission office. What I found was that the facilites do not have brochures with all their information, so I took pictures of their boards so I could remember what they had. Two of the Sister missionaries accompanied me as translators. I can speak basic Spanish, but not enough to bargain and negotiate with hospital administrators.

I taught basic First Aide in all the zones that we went to. All the basics, bleeding, loss of breathing, CPR, etc. We had fun, and willing victims. The reward was ice cream ordered from their favorite ice cream store, Gridos.


Steve repaired and repaired. In this apartment he put up curtain rods so these lovely curtains could be hung. Notice the beautiful sunset.



It was of course fun to see some of the old cathedrals. Each town has a plaza and usually a beautiful old church right across the street.




We have been hearing since we arrived of the hail they have down here. Well, here is an example. Some of them were the size of golf balls.





He is still pretty spry, climbing on top of this apartment. Go Grandpa! At one of the apartments he fixed 10 electrical outlets.


Here is Steve on top of the roof putting a new lid on a water tank. All the water tanks down here are on top of the ground. That is how they get the water pressure to make their water run.



After 3 days of teaching first aid, visiting hospitals, and making repairs, we treated ourselves with a night at a resort on the lake. For some reason I have no pictures of the lake. The road around the lake is made so it can be a racetrack for car races. Quite a novel idea. They were going to have the big Carnival celebration here in March.


We did not make the reservations, the other couple did. The valet took us to our room, when I saw the sign on the door that said Brazil Suite, I became a bit nervous. When we went into our room, I knew a mistake had been made. I called the manager and said, this cannot be our room. It was beautiful. The most luxurious room I have ever been in. He just assured me there was no mistake, so we just pretended we were king and queen and enjoyed our royal suite.
We finished our trip with a visit to one of the wards there. The people were so wonderful. We bore our testimonies, and yes, Grandpa even did his in Spanish. The children were so darling, they all came up to shake our hands.
We went home tired, but knowing much, much had been accomplished. New hospitals were identified, new Dr.s found, apartments so much the better for us having been there.





























4 comments:

Farm Girl said...

Gives me goosebumps when I see all of great the things you guys are doing....there's no doubt both of you were soooo meant to be right where you are. We are so proud to call you our parents and we love and miss you a BUNCH!!

MikesDork said...

Looks like a great trip! I am glad that you guys are serving the Lord and being such a great example to all the grandkids!

That hotel room looks fun!

Tracy said...

Sometimes we may not understand what the Lord asks of us at the time He asks, but his plan is so perfectly orchestrated. He knew what he was doing having you serve where you are and how you are. You both are very needed! Good job Steve on the Spanish!!

Deb-t said...

I just loved reading this post! Wow, so many adventures, spiritual, fun and also full of work. Great job to the both of you for being where the Lord needs you to be, doing for others and serving Him.
I loved your fancy suite you got to stay in, you deserve it! And that hail....wow! I wouldn't like to outside without protection when that strikes!
I'm also very grateful you are all fine from the earthquake in Chile....