Sunday, February 7, 2010

Listen When Your Mom Gives Advice!

Who would think that I would need to rely on one of those motherly words of wisdom from my childhood to solve a mission medical problem. The phone rang. "Hermana Brown, you will never believe what I just did." I braced myself for the worst news. "I was at a member's home and they were eating prickly pear cactus." Now my interest was picking up . . ."I guess I wasn't very careful and I must not have scraped all the stickers out, because, now I have cactus stickers in my tongue and down my throat. What should I do?"
I tried not to laugh--or cry! What a predicament. But what to do? I could send him to the Dr's and have them pull the little prickles out with forceps . . .or . . .I remembered that my Mother used to tell me when I was a young child . . ."If you get any little fish bones stuck in your throat, try eating a piece of bread and it will gather up the little fish bones." Well, it was worth a try. I shared this with the missionary . . And it worked!!! It took three pieces of bread, but the little stickers are all gone.
Mom, thanks for looking out for me even down here in Argentina. I am so glad I listened once in a while to all those words of wisdom.

3 comments:

MikesDork said...

Thanks for the great story! Sometimes mom knows best!

Farm Girl said...

wow...who would have thought....i think i'll stay on the safe side and just not eat any cacti.

Deb-t said...

Ha ha ha...I'm with Shereen! So glad you remembered the little wives tale that happened to be the real deal!