Wednesday, May 15, 2013

CROSS ONE OFF THE BUCKET LIST!!

One of the big things here at the Girls' Camp, is being able to do the Challenge Courses.  These are Class Rope Courses, consisting of a high course (climb a tall pole--cross some sort of line, log, or bridge to another high pole, be attached to a zip line and zoom down to the ground).  There are 5 of these courses at the camp, each a little different.  Each course has a high course along with 6 low course activities. 
Last year I just could not bring myself to even try any of these courses.  They just seemed above anything I could ever do.
Well, this year, one of my bucket list items, was to do one of the courses.  Today was our Challenge Course training.  All of us had the opportunity to participate.  At course #4, the leaders encouraged us to do whatever we felt we could accomplish, even if it was only putting on the harness, and then taking as many steps up the pole as we wanted.  Humm, I figured I could do that.  I had nothing to lose.
So into the harness I went.  That felt OK.  It became my turn.  I figured I could at least climb a little ways up the pole, and then I would see if I wanted to go further.  So, up I started.  Not too bad.  The steps were large metal brackets and all seemed well.  I took a big breath and decided to continue up.  I was doing just fine and then I came to a point where you had to change feet.  It took me a few minutes to figure this out, but with great encouragement, I took a little hop and my feet actually went where they were supposed to.  So, I made the decision to continue up.

I got to the top (this is the tallest of all the courses) and I had to leave the nice sturdy pole and step out onto a thin metal cable.  I was attached to a belay line and I had been told if I slipped they would not let me fall, but that was the biggest step in my life.  I just wanted to take that pole with me.  Then I stepped out . . .
After wobbling and sliding my feet and feeling so very insecure, I made my way across the line (25 feet above the ground) until I reached the opposite pole where a wonderful Sister reached out her hand and pulled me in.  I just grabbed that pole with both hands.

Then it was time to go on the zip line.  I could not look.  I just closed my eyes, counted to 3, stepped off, and away I sailed.  It was so fun!  I did it!  I can't believe that I had the courage to do this.  Bucket list, you have one less item in there.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Way to go Mom!!!! I'm so proud of you!!!

MikesDork said...

I am amazed!! I do not think that I could do that! Great job crossing an item off your bucket list and for being that high@